Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Not Your Ordinary Baseball Game ...

People are always donating tickets to the Boys Ranch. Last night, we attended the San Angelo Colts game because it would be free (and Free is Good!!) ... and it's baseball! As we are walking up to the stadium, Bryan hears them talking about a "Diamond Dig" over the intercom. I honestly thought nothing of it.

It was about the 3rd inning when the announcer told us more ... "If you are a lady who is 18 years or older, then you are eligible for the Diamond Dig." I looked at Bryan and said, "Hey, that's me!" "Joe, the ground's keeper buried a diamond necklace (4 heart shaped diamonds put together to look like a 4-leaf clover ... total weight= 1 carat) from Legend Jewelers in the infield, and you have to find it" continued the announcer! Ok, so this is all he tells us at the time ... but I am thinking, "Yeah, this could be fun ... and what if I found it." Beginning of the 4th, he tells us more, "You will be able to use one tool, and one tool only ... a tongue depressor (a.k.a. popsicle stick)!" By this point, I am now talking myself out of doing it!

So, Bryan decides to take the boys home and then come back ... but he made me stay there, just in case he didn't make it back in time! I was preoccupied by 2 babies ... one little girl, 10 months old, had already mastered walking ... and the 8 month old chatterbox with his big brown eyes was cute as can be!

Top of the 9th Inning, Bryan and I go and sit by the dugout ... Not long after that, women start lining up, so that they can be the first on the field! I got in line with the rest of the crazy women, and waited not so patiently for the last out of the inning! Finally, the game was over ... players, coaches, bat boys were clearing off the field ... and women with A popsicle stick in hand were lining up along the base lines! I put the "a" in bold letters because they came by and checked to make sure we had ONE and only ONE before they said go! We were told that we were looking for a white jewelry box!

I wish someone would have videotaped it! I can just imagine in my head how funny we looked ... about 200 women, young and old, digging in very hard dirt with a not very strong tool! Some women looked to their men for advice ... some broke their sticks in half so that they could dig twice as fast!!! Me? I picked a spot behind 1st and 2nd base, sat in the dirt like I was 5 years old, and just started digging! After about 5 minutes, he gave us a hint that it was between 2nd and 3rd ... Man, all my hard work and I wasn't even close! So now picture those 200 women crowding into an even smaller area ... hehe! I picked one of the very few small areas left ... and began to "dig" (I wasn't really digging ... it was more of a scratch of the surface)!

A lady, only a few feet away from me, finally found the box! She took it to the announcer ... only to find out she was younger than 18! Yea, I am pretty sure he made it clear that only ladies 18 and up are eligible ... but maybe she thought she was an exception! So, they are trying to figure out how to handle this ... obviously they can't give it to her, they can't hand to the person closest ... oh I know, why don't I throw it over my shoulders like a bouquet at a wedding! haha So, yes this is what they do! I just laughed ... and watched from the sideline as two ladies fought on the ground for this box!

Now, I can officially say, "I have dug for diamonds."

1 comment:

JMMSchoenfield said...

That is hilarious!! Too bad you didnt beat up the people around you to get it when they threw it. Kinda like a bouquet at a wedding, fighting for the death!! HAHA