Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Opening Dove Season

*Long Post Ahead*

Bryan and I started it off with taking the boys to watch Mertzon BEAT the Roby Lions on Friday Night! We won 20-0 ... pretty good for our first official game of the season!

Saturday, Bryan worked the morning and early afternoon ... then we spent the rest of the day at Papa's house! Fish Fry for supper ... Yum Yum!! A bunch of rain came in, which sent us all home!! I can't think of a better way to end the night!!

Sunday, we got Bryan's hunting license, so he would be ready to go Monday morning! James, Letitia and Family had to go home after lunch ... because James had to work the next day! It was a beautiful day, so I pulled my camera out!!

This is Gunnar ... he was the handsome ring bearer in our wedding!
This is Axel ... he has always reminded me of Jack Jack from The Incredibles!

It's very hard to get a picture of him without those 2 fingers in his mouth!

Axel and My Mom - He Loves me!
Brian trying to be as cool as Axel, but not succeeding!

Bryan and Gunnar, playing football on the trampoline!

This is Macqueleigh (said Ma-k-lee) and Sarah!

Macqueleigh and Gunnar!

This is the sad part! I did not get a single picture of Aiva! I know ... what was I thinking!! She was inside getting fed, while all these pictures were taken! Since James did not get to hunt, I suspect they will be down soon! Yeah!

Monday (I love having Monday's off): Bryan and I got up at 5:30AM to get ready for a day fulfilled with doves! We went to my parent's house, where my Uncle Jim and Aunt Bina were staying! We had breakfast, and then sent the boys on to go hunting! Aunt Bina has a dachshund named Zoee ... Violet and Zoee had a blast playing around all morning!

Luckily the doves were flying good in the morning ... we had fried dove for lunch! It's not my favorite way to eat dove, but it sure was good!

Take 2: I decided to go hunting with Bryan in the afternoon (he got 8 that morning and had no bird dog)!

A Stud w/ a Gun!
(Our only shade in the milo field was a telephone pole!)

I didn't take a single shot, but at least I look scary!

Those are the empty shells ... I always put them in my fingers!

The birds were a little more cautious in the afternoon ... Bryan only took 3 out! But at least his bird dog found all three of them! Then came one of my favorite parts of dove season ... Dove Stew! Yum Yum!! That's what I had for supper!

Meet Abigale Rose Holik! She is beautiful!

I enjoyed my Abi time, and can't wait until I get to hold her again!
(Ignore the girl in the camo w/ the messed up hair ... I had been up since 5:30 that morning!)

Happy Birthday, Uncle Adolph!
We always celebrate his birthday w/ opening dove season!


All in all, yes, It was a wonderful weekend! Opening dove season is a huge holiday for this Holik Clan! For the next 8 weeks, I will be enjoying shots taken, birds flying (and falling), plucking feathers, bloody fingers, scavenger hunts, "There's One", dove stew, and Lots of Family!! :)

4 comments:

~kristi said...

looks like you had a great weekend! I am not a hunter either. Mitten killed a mouse last night and left it by the front door. I cannot even go outside and put it in the trash!

Amy Holifield said...

oh susan, in life, there are two things worth gaining weight for: having babies, and that cake! You'll thank me, I promise!

Mrs. Jenk said...

you are such a good match for Bryan- it makes me laugh!

Shaunna said...

Blake and I neither one are big hunters, but I can always remember when the start of dove season is...We were married that weekend and lots of people chose the doves over our wedding...hehe:)