Friday, March 20, 2009

First Day on the New Job

Friday the 13th, my alarm went off at 4:15am ... I showered and got ready for my first day at the hospital!!

Don't Judge - This picture was taken at around 5:15am ... the hubby picked out this scrub in the store and told me to wear it my first day!!

Now, in orientation ... they tell you to be there, clocked in and ready to go 15 minutes before your shift actually starts. So since mine started at 6, I was there around 5:40am! I get clocked in, walk to the front desk ... and she asks what are you doing here so early? I thought to my self man I really have no idea!! She said shift change is at 6:15 ... so I was there an extra 30 minutes more than I had to! Bummer!! That bit me in the butt later in the day!!

I followed around another Nursing Assistant (Bryan calls me a "Nurse's Ass"!) We did routine vitals, physician's orders, admits, discharges ... and many more things!! It was so tiring! Well, finally 6 came along ... then it was gone, and I was still there!! 7 came along, and yet I was still there! I left around 7:30 (13 hours 45 minutes later)! Even though our schedule says it ends at 6, that's not true! That's at shift change, so the head nurses have to report about all the patients to the new nurses ... and since the new nurses are in the break room, they can't be manning the front desk and taking care of stuff! So that's why we have to stick around longer!!

I was so happy to get home! I propped my feet up, had leftovers in bed (prepared by my wonderful husband) and watched a couple episodes of FRIENDS!!! Later, I even got a foot massage!

All in all, it was not a bad day ... we started out with 11 kids, and sent 4 home! That's my favorite part of the job: when they discharge a kid! Makes me sooo happy!!

1 comment:

Brittney said...

Sweet job Susan! Which hospital are you working at? What kind of training did you have to do?